There are a number of plumbing tips that can help you maintain any plumbing system, be it a commercial or a residential plumbing system, that can help prevent emergency plumbing needs or costly after hour visits. It is not that we don’t want to make money here at Colin M Easton Plumbing and Heating Ltd, we like profit as much as the next plumbing contractor, but we care about our customers. There is plenty of plumbing work to be had under the best of circumstances. We feel that if you take advantage of some of our experience and heed these simple tips, you’ll thank us with your continued business, and long relationships is what Colin M Easton Plumbing and Heating Ltd is all about.
So here are some simple tips that can help your plumbing operate at its maximum proficiency, and that can also save you some money!
- The Weather – Extreme temperatures can do serious damage to plumbing and to heating and air conditioning units. So if you see that the weather is going to be extremely hot or below freezing, make sure you prepare for it. Make sure pipes are insulated. Simple foam installation will usually suffice.
- Change Your Filter System – Any plumbing system or heating system that utilizes a filter does so for a reason, it needs to catch debris so that it can breath and flow and function properly. But be it a heater/boiler system or a water filtration system, filters get clogged, which provides the same result as if there were no filtering system in the first place, the unit becomes clogged and cannot function properly. This can result in severe damage. Routine cleaning and changing of filters not only lengthens the life of any plumbing machine, it saves money.
- Keep Your Drains Clear – Be it a simple kitchen drain or an extremely important storm drain, keeping the drains clean can prevent costly plumbing problems. Drains are designed to allow water to flow but to keep debris from entering the pipes. Storm drains, for example, drain excess rain water , potentially damaging to the structure of your home or to your landscaping, away from your house, but they can’t do so if they are blocked. Make sure your drains are clear and free of debris so they can do their job.
Some of our Frequently Asked Questions
(click on the question to reveal the answer)
How do I fix a constantly running toilet?
First open the tank and try to flush the toilet to see what is causing the continued running. Make sure the chain is not tangled or trapped under the flow. Look to see that the flow closes on its own after the tank drains. If it doesn’t, it may need replacing. Check the floater; if it’s not floating, it’s probably full of water and needs replacing. If it still floats, bend the arm slightly to allow it to sit lower in the tank.
Why doesn’t the dishwasher completely drain itself?
Dishwashers often leave a little water in the bottom after a cycle. This is because there is a heating element in the bottom that heats the dishes, and this element needs to be covered with water to avoid burning up. However, if this water isn’t draining away, if there is much more water than there should be, or if the water in the bottom is dirty, your dishwasher might have another problem. It could be the drain, the pump, or even the dishwasher’s timer—you’ll probably want to call us.
Tips on How to Fix Clogged Sink Issues.
Doesn’t it seem like a clogged sink happens at the most inconvenient time? Without fail, your sink will start acting up just when you’re already late for work, trying to get ready for a big event or when you simply don’t have time to wait for the plumber. Fortunately, Colin M Easton Plumbing can teach you how to fix clogged sink issues on your own.
A clog can happen due to hair or other materials collecting in the drain and forming a kind of plug. In order to loosen and clear this type of clog, you can try a few different methods:
- Baking Soda and Vinegar – Pour a quarter cup of baking soda down the drain, and then add a quarter cup of white vinegar. The mixture will foam, and the foaming action may loosen the clog. Let the solution sit for about twenty minutes before flushing the drain with hot water.
- Hot Water – Heat water in your tea kettle to a boil, and then flush the drain with water. If you have a small plunger, you can try using plunging action on the drain. The suction of plunging can create movement of the obstacle and potentially loosen the clog. Then flush with hot water again. Use a sanitary plunger in your sink – preferably a clean one that is not used for the toilet.
- Call a Professional – Sometimes following DIY tips for how to fix clogged sink issues will only get you so far. If you are unsure about trying to unclog a drain by yourself, or if you have tried the above methods with no success, call your local New York City plumbing professionals to come and take a look.
How can I provide the cleanest Drinking Water in my home or office?
Who wouldn’t want the cleanest, safest drinking water for themselves and their family? Copper piping is the most suitable piping available for the cleanest, most drinkable water. If you are thinking about updating your pipes and drains, give us a call for a free estimate on copper piping. Copper piping is the most durable type of pipe and is usually in guaranteed up to fifty years from the manufacturer themselves. Another benefit of copper piping is that it will not corrode and, essentially, will add value to your property, if you should decide to sell it.